Responsible for the overall management and business performance of the business division in Nigeria and the Sub-Sahara Africa (SSA) region and to ensure the delivery of high quality customized research information services to a broad base of clients. Also responsible for driving new business development opportunities, managing strategic local and regional client relationships and the implementation of regional as well as local initiatives in pursuit of The Nielsen Company's vision and core purpose.
- Develop and implement long-term strategies and plans in the areas of client servicing, organization development and operations excellence.
- Monitor and anticipate external market trends and activities and develop strategies and business plans that will contribute to profitable business growth and sustainable competitive advantage
- Ensure the implementation of all approved strategies and plans based on global and regional / sub-regional directions that are also consistently aligned with the company's operating policies and procedures
- Develop annual strategic plan for the market, taking into account past divisional performance and future trends and opportunities.
- Identify and initiate activities designed to project the best possible Company culture and image in the market.
- Leverage best demonstrated practices from other markets and appropriately bring them into effect in the local and regional context.
- Achieve revenue, profitability, quality, speed of delivery and productivity targets as well as other related business development objectives as structured for the market each year.
- Hold Associate Directors and Managers accountable for meeting account financial targets.
- Develop and implement local business strategies aligned with regional direction and sub-regional focus required to meet the financial and business objectives of the division.
- Ensure the client service teams have optimized contract negotiations that contribute to the overall success of the business and are aligned with operating policies and guidelines.
- Monitor the actual financial performance against budget / forecast and ensure the implementation of appropriate actions that will lead to the achievement of the division's financial objectives.
- Monitor and control overheads and expenses as per approved annual budget.
- Manage the cost of jobs within present budget restrictions (i.e. cost management)
- Conduct quarterly business reviews within the division to provide status against financial targets to date and to identify client issues as well as solutions as well as develop new business opportunities. To ensure that the team is focused on achieving its financial objectives and encourage teamwork across the division that leads to overall success in terms of delivering on client commitments.
- Identify strategies and implement plans that will contribute to maximum client satisfaction and ensure continuous profitable business growth.
- Ensure client service standards are implemented and enhanced as client expectations continue to evolve and change in the market place.
- Be responsible for personally driving the client relationship and building the business portfolio for local and regional clients.
- Ensure adherence to the company policies on business conduct / ethics when servicing clients are being observed by the entire division.
New Business Development and Marketing
- Identify areas of business opportunity and growth for the division in terms of markets.
- Maintain and further foster relationships with current clients.
- Lead business pitches for major new clients and new industries
- Build the company's positive image through active participation in professional associations and industry conferences / seminars
Organizational Management and Development
- Ensure the division has the appropriate organization structure that will support and deliver the business plans and targets.
- Identify and ensure that the division is operating within an efficient staffing level that contributes to the achievement of productivity targets.
- Ensure alignment of operating systems and processes that will enable the division to achieve its overall business objectives.
- Contribute to the development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and other regional initiatives when consulted / involved by the various regional and sub-regional heads.
- Work across functional business units to support organizational initiatives and business needs.
- Promote inter-departmental and inter-divisional communications and teamwork
- Network internally and externally across the region to discover and implement best practices.
Individual's maturity in relation to others and to work which controls the effectiveness of the individual's performance when dealing with immediate environment pressures and difficulties
- Resists the temptation to engage in inappropriate involvement or impulsive behaviour
- Controls strong emotions or other stress and takes action to respond constructively to the source of problems
- In very stressful situations, calms others as well as controlling own emotions
- Is pleased or excited about challenging assignments or seeks additional responsibilities
- Expresses disagreement with management or clients tactfully, politely and constructively
- Makes personal commitments to meet the organization's needs over professional or personal interests and preferences
People Management / Leadership
Using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to inspire and guide individuals toward goal achievement by providing clear, behaviourally specific performance feedback, effective coaching / mentoring and developmental opportunities
- Sets goals for multiple teams – take appropriate action if they are under-performing
- Identifies capability strengths and gaps of the organization in order to determine the appropriate staffing that will meet current and future needs
- After assessing subordinates' competence, delegates full authority and responsibility with the latitude to do a task in their own way
- Provides appropriate recognition for good performance
- Confronts others openly and directly about performance problems
- Acts to promote a friendly climate, good morale and cooperation
- Protects and promotes group reputation with outsiders
- Demonstrates the leadership competencies identified by the Company.
Individual's working to come to an understanding of a situation, task, problem, opportunity or a body of knowledge and the motivation to expand, use and distribute work-related knowledge to others
- Provides highly specialized professional or management services
- Pulls together ideas, issues and observations into a single concept or a clear presentation
- Identifies a key issue in a complex situation
- Uses several analytical techniques to identify several solutions and weights the value of each
- Offers personal expertise to improve performance, or resolve others' technical problems
- Maintains an extensive network of technical / professional contacts to keep abreast of the latest ideas
- Integrates and shares client knowledge across businesses
- Recognizes a potential crisis and mobilizes resources quickly and effectively
- Effectively allocate financial resources to accomplish short- and long-term business goals
- Explores beyond one's immediate field
- Master's or MBA preferred (preferable but not mandatory)
- Strong relevant experience with few years at senior management level.